Friday, September 18, 2009

Introduction

Hello! Here I am, making my first blog ever. I am a student at the University of Lethbridge and, as part of our Communications Technology and Education course, we are learning about blogs. Part of this entails creating a blog ourself, and part of it is looking at how blogs could be used in education. This is my blog. I am in my third year at the U of L, working towards a BA/BEd combined degree majoring in Dramatic Arts/Drama Education. My love of theatre and desire to teach brought me all the way here to Southern Alberta, quite a distance from my hometown. I am originally from a small town in Northern B.C. called Dawson Creek. No, not "Dawson's Creek", as all residents there will tell you when you unkowningly add a possessive "s" into the title. No, it is not where they film the television show. No, I do not know Dawson, or Casey, or whoever it is that is on the show. Remember, they are fictional characters, and our creek is not owned by Dawson. Be careful, a bored citizen will sometimes amuse himself or herself by convincing an ignorant newcomer or tourist or whoever that the opposite of all the afore mentioned statements is true, in the hopes that hilarity will insue at the expense of the poor victim. A sense of humour is essential to survival in a small town.

Back to more serious things. More about me later perhaps. Actually, here is a story that relates to the second part of my assignment. When I was in grade seven our class had an assignment in which technology was used as a learning tool. As part of our social studies unit, our teacher had us do reasearch online and in the library on a well known and inspiring individual of our choice. I chose Alexander Fleming, the man who discovered penicillin. I really had no idea who he was, and picked him sort of randomly off the top of my head. By the end of my project I knew a lot more, though the only thing I remember now is basically what I just said, he invented penicillin. Although I do recall it was a sort of accidental discovery, involving a piece of bread and some mold and other scientific stuff like a lab. Our teacher had us publish our information on a webpage of our design, which was then linked to our class website. Not only did our class learn about unique and inspiring individuals, we also learned about how to conduct reasearch, how to create webpages and how to use the internet to share information. Now I know how I could find information on a topic that I know nothing about...like Sir Alexander Fleming and his discovery of penicillin.

No comments:

Post a Comment